Friday, May 27, 2011

Recovery!

 This month has been very interesting, my dad took most of the month of May off for our vacation and we were hoping to plan some big trips but my younger brother has baseball practice and games throughout the week, my older sister works and has Drivers Ed and then I was working, So that time ended up being spent cleaning out the back yard,weeding and getting the garden planted ( it looks much better now) but we did get to take a few short trips after all our hard work outside.



We went to the beach and stayed at a friend's house which was pretty awesome, played in the water, made sand castles and took quite a few walks along the beach, its amazing to stand at the water line and just watch the waves come in and the breeze blow on your face. Our next little trip ended in a couple of doctor appointments for me, We went up to visit my grandma who lives about 4 hours away, in a place which I guess you could call it a farm/ ranch type of thing, she has cows,chickens a mini horse and two big horses, One of my favorite things about going up there is riding her horses mostly because I'm a city slicker and don't get the chance anywhere else, my grandma has a new horse that is rebellious and just wants to run. Being the dare devil that I am, I decided to ride her even though I am just learning how to ride and lets just say I got my ride ;) I fell off and landed on my hip weird so that it got twisted out of place thankfully I landed on sand so it broke my fall a little bit, my dad ( He's from New York, even more of a city slicker)  ran out and picked me up, yelling the whole way "What are horses even for!?! I knew something was going to happen!! Lets just shoot the horse!!" (gotta love my dad!) I was able to walk, it was just very painful, so once we got home and settled in my mom took me to get my hip adjusted. I thought "I go in, get adjusted and walk out a new person, maybe go back one more time to make sure everything is on the right track and then get right back into my exercise routine"  I was so wrong. It'd be more like 5 appointments, I did not walk out feeling like a new person, I felt the same as when I had fallen and I wouldn't be able to do any high impact exercises for about two weeks, What I had neglected to remember is that healing takes time, this is called  "Recovery time" and my recovery time might seem pretty short, I mean, two weeks thats not bad but if you're like me it seems pretty long to not be able to move like I was used to, since I am a swim Instructor and Lifeguard it was very difficult to do my job well when you can't really keep up with the kids you're trying to teach to swim and guarding is very hard when you can't bend down to assist a child out of the pool,and also since I love to exercise It was especially hard not being able to exercise when I was in recovery time. So to make sure I didn't fall to far behind ( and go crazy!)I started trying different exercise move that I could do with out using my hip as much, I found that I could do Plank, wall sits, Pushups,walking, and the exercise bike not to much but enough to keep me moving, Now about two weeks later I'm just beginning to be able to jog and I have more of a selection of exercises that I can do. I want to encourage you to keep moving! It's important to exercise even if you don't feel like you accomplished much. Smaller,consistent times of exercise really go a long way. Also I wanted to encourage everyone to take recovery time more seriously, A good thing to remember is P.R.I.C.E I had learned R.I.C.E   Rest,Ice,Compress,and Elevation, but I guess now it is P.R.I.C.E, Protection, Rest, Ice,Compression and Elevation (Protection would be to protect yourself against any further injury) following P.R.I.C.E can hep you recover from an injury faster and take away some pain that you might have.

Whats the biggest injury you've ever gotten? I Love to hear your story!

Have a Beautiful weekend!
 xoxo Cameron Ashleigh

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog! now following! I would really love it if you would check out my fashion blog: www.thefashionistagirls.blogspot.com! Thanks! <3 Shelby

    ReplyDelete